4v4 program for children in 1st & 2nd Grades
EBU Juniors U8 4v4 League
U8 Spring Season Overview
Spring 2021: March 14th - May 2nd
Games on Saturdays @ Raimondi Park in Oakland
No weekday team practices for U8 Teams during spring—try Soccer School
Game Day Guidelines
Tips for a successful spring season!
BEFORE THE GAME - ALL FAMILIES
- Check Teamsnap to confirm the date, time and location of your next game.If EBU is cancelling a game for any reason, that update will appear on your Teamsnap calendar and you will receive a notification. Please note that during the spring we play most U6/U8 games on turf, and do not anticipate cancelling any games due to rain. Please do not email to ask if there is any chance a game might be cancelled due to rain. We will update the cub website and Teamsnap and communicate with families as soon we have new information.
- Use the “Availability” feature on Teamsnap to RSVP for all of your games at least two weeks in advance.
- Make sure your child has the right equipment & gear for game day
- EBU Juniors Uniform (purchase at Soccer Post)
- Shin guards covered by soccer socks (blue preferred)
- Soccer cleats, turf or indoor shoes (recommended but not required)
- Water bottle filled up with WATER! #DrinkWaterNotSugar
- Check for updates about how EBU is responding to the COVID-19 virus to help keep our children and families safe.
- Check Teamsnap to confirm how many players have RSVP’d for your game. Follow up with families as necessary to get an accurate head count.
- Your must bring your goals, balls, cones and bibs to all Saturday games. During the spring you will be using your own cones to outline your field in the designated space at Raimondi. We cannot paint your field lines on the Raimondi turf, but you may use the field markings as guidelines/sidelines along with your cones.
ON GAME DAY - ALL FAMILIES
- Arrive at 15 minutes early, giving yourself time to park, get to your assigned field at Raimondi, and gather with your team’s coaches.
- Double check the Raimondi Field Map to confirm where your field is located.
- Offer to help your team’s lead volunteer in some capacity (be a game monitor, coach/ help with substitutions, set up / clean-up fields, etc)
- Be positive and just cheer—please do not coach or give instructions to children from the sideline! See more info a the Positive Coaching Alliance.
- Minimize contact that can spread germs—for now, no hi-fives or handshakes, etc
- Have fun!
U8 Spring Season Game Day Guidelines
Your team will have the field for one hour to be used for two back-to-back 4v4 games. You and your opponent will share two fields that, together, equal approximately 1/4 of the turf football field at Raimondi. For the U8 League, your field will be listed as an odd number (1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11); and will include the even-numbered field directly adjacent—which will be open. So, if your Teamsnap calendar says “Field 1” then your games will be played on Fields 1 & 2 that day. Please note that our U6 League teams will only be using one field at a time, not two. Please see the Raimondi Field Map for more details on where each field is located.
Break your team into two groups (Warriors A and Warriors B)—your opponent will do the same (Ladybugs A and Ladybugs B). Make sure one parent is assigned to handle coaching/substitutions for each group. You will need a third parent to be a game monitor.
Use your team's cones and Pugg goals to outline one 4v4 field (1/8 of the football field). Your opponent will do the same to create a second field of the same size.
Game 1: Have Warriors A vs. Ladybugs A on one field and Warriors B vs Ladybugs B on the other. Play for 20 minutes with a short half-time water break in the middle (10 minute halves).
Break: Take a 3-5 minute water break in between games—please encourage the children to #DrinkWaterNotSugar!
Game 2: Then switch—Warriors A vs. Ladybugs B on one field and Warriors B vs Ladybugs A on the other.
All games should be played in a 4v4 format without any goalkeepers.
Substitutions should be made “on the fly.”
AFTER THE GAME
- Give positive feedback to your children!
- Thank the parent volunteers and children and families from both teams!
- Help your team pack up and carry equipment (goals, cones, bigs, balls).
- Check in with your coach by email after the game with any questions or concerns that you have. Sometimes a meeting at the field is not the best or most convenient time to talk through concerns.
- Email email@example.com with any additional questions or concerns that your team’s coaches/volunteers cannot answer. Please take a minute to visit the club website to answer your question before sending an email—it may be a faster way to get your answer!
Your child should wear/bring the following to every practice and game:
– shin guards
– soccer socks (worn over the shin guards)
– cleats (grass or turf cleats OK, NO football or baseball cleats)
- water bottle with water (no sugary drinks please!)
- Children playing in the U6/U8 Leagues can purchase their EBU uniform at Soccer Post at South Shore in Alameda.
- Soccer School participants will receive a t-shirt at their first session.